Castle Panic – Kickstarter Interview
Interview with the creators of Castle Panic!
Castle Panic is now Live and Funded on Kickstarter! We had the chance to get some inside info of the game!
1. Hello! Please tell us a few things about yourself!
Fireside Games has been in operation since 2009, when we released Castle Panic. We’re known for creating accessible, thematic games that are great for luring friends and family into the hobby. Other titles you might be familiar with are Hotshots, Here, Kitty, Kitty!, Bears!, and The Village Crone.
2. Please give us some info about Castle Panic. What is included in the Deluxe Edition of the game?
Castle Panic is a cooperative tower defense game. Players work together to slay the monsters coming out of the forest before the towers are destroyed. There are 3 existing expansions: The Wizard’s Tower, The Dark Titan, and Engines of War. Each adds new mechanics and characters to the game. A new fourth expansion, Crowns and Quests, will be available first to backers of the Castle Panic Deluxe Collection Kickstarter. It adds a royal court and adventures to the mix.
The deluxe editions will have upgraded components, including wooden tokens and minis, as well as all new art. Campaign backers will have several pledge levels that will allow them to customize what they receive:
• Pledge Level 1: Castle Panic Deluxe (base game only) with wooden tokens and other upgraded components but without minis
• Pledge Level 2: Castle Panic Deluxe (with minis)
• Pledge Level 3: minis only
• Pledge Level 4: Castle Panic Deluxe, The Wizard’s Tower Deluxe, and a playmat
• Pledge Level 5: Castle Panic Deluxe Collection (Castle Panic, The Wizard’s Tower, The Dark Titan, Engines of War, and Crowns and Quests) plus a playmat
3. Are there any differences in gameplay compared to the Standard Edition?
The gameplay is time tested, so we left that alone.
4. What was the greatest challenge that you faced during the designing and development of the game?
The greatest challenge was putting together a project this large. We tried to eat this elephant one bite at a time by launching a deluxe version of the base game last summer, but the overwhelming response was that backers wanted all of the expansions with the base game in one box. That was a huge effort, but we’ve pulled it off, with the new surprise expansion!
5. Would you like to share some key elements that you are excited about?
We’re most excited about the minis. We hired some of the top sculptors in the business, and they did not disappoint. The rotatable bases are so fun to play with. We can’t wait to share them with backers.
6. What is special about Castle Panic? What makes it stand out from other tower defense games?
Castle Panic was one of the first cooperative games to hit the market and has been a favorite for so many people. Some early fans are now teaching their kids to play. The base game is accessible but tense, so it delivers an exhilarating experience that’s great for ensuring a good first time for new players, and the expansions add a variety of dimensions to keep seasoned players challenged.
7. What kind of gaming experience does Castle Panic create?
Castle Panic creates a highly social, collaborative experience that’s tense and accessible to all play levels and ages.
8. What kind of players are going to enjoy the game?
Families and people new to gaming will most enjoy the base game. More experienced players will enjoy adding the expansions.
9. Spoiler time! What are the future plans for Castle Panic and Fireside Games?
Getting this Kickstarter together and developing the new expansion were heavy enough lifts that we don’t have any additional plans on the horizon for Castle Panic, though we can say for sure we aren’t finished with that world. We do have another game in the works we’re excited about, but we won’t be announcing that until after this Kickstarter. Stay tuned!
Latest posts by Boardgame Stories (see all)
- Destinies – Music Story (Stop Motion Unboxing) - 4 June 2021
- Sleeping Gods & Tides of Ruin – Music Story (Unboxing) - 18 May 2021
- Castle Panic – Kickstarter Interview - 13 May 2021